Venue: Carbis Bay, St’Ives
Date: June 9th race day – June 10th paddling clinics will be run by Ocean Sports along with use of the double skis and outriggers for a longer more social paddle along the coast line.
Hosted by: Ocean Sports Club (affiliated to Surf Life Saving GB & British Canoe Union)
Distance: 4km, 7km and 14km
Age Categories: under 16, under 19, open, masters
Craft: spec ski, ocean ski (single & double, SUP (open), OC1, OC2, OC4 & OC6
Contact: Glenn on 07533 695 031 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Buoyancy Aids are MANDATORY in all distances above 800m
Hayle Surf Life Saving club will be providing primary water cover on the day comprising of roving Jest ski and IRB (situated on the southern turning mark – Hayle estuary). A secondary IRB will also be present positioned on the north western (Island) turning mark – all powered watercraft will be have VHF radio communications. Beach event safety will also be monitored with beach paramedic and RNLI Lifeguards throughout the day.
By starting the race it is the competitors responsibility to appropriately assess that their paddling capabilities exceed or match local sea states and weather conditions – by taking part in this event competitors does so at their own risk and are therefore capable of completing the designated course.
After last years blazing success in the summer sun Paddlefest 2012 promises to be bigger and better and will kick off the British series. With the prospect of a number of up and coming paddlers series promises to be hotly contested with the podiums wide open in all categories – will the inland London crew take this years podiums or will the coastal paddlers hold consistency in flat and surf?. This year we have teamed up with WeSup a bespoke SUP compony and club based at Gylly Falmouth who will be bringing their gang of club paddlers to join in with our event – with numbers in excess of 50 we could have quite a crowd on our hands!
This year will be the first official British double ski series hosted by Ocean Sports, supported by Fenn UK and the BCU – importantly there is a big trophy! donated by Jim Ross (thank you Jim). Keep posted for details.
To bring together a variety of paddles sports who would not normally have the opportunity to meet but share a common passion for the ocean.
- There are three race disciplines, SUP; outrigger (OC) and ski – each will have an opportunity to compete in its own specific race as well as the longer 14km ocean ski race.
- Both SUP’s and OC 4’s will race in the Eliminator sprint event, which is a knockout style race over 800m (both disciplines will be eligible [provided competent] to race over the longer 12km course).
- SUP competitors will race with only the fastest, based upon position, advancing to the final via quarter and semi-finals. Races will start every 10 minutes.
- OC 4’s will race over the same distance two boats at a time, each race will be timed with fastest times advancing to the final. Races will start every 10 minutes.
- Ski’s will race over standard British Ocean Ski distances (see categories below).
- The double ski Eliminator Sprint will follow the same format as last year maximising local conditions will alter the final shape of the course. Seats in a double can be bought for the event (additional £5). Races will start every 15 minutes using a minimum of six doubles, resulting in a six boat final (see below for course).
Race Start Times:
- British Ocean Ski Series (all ski categories plus, SUP and outrigger cat) – briefing @ 10:30am start 11.30am (registration open from 9:30)
- Double ski Eliminator Sprint (2km) – briefing @ 12.30pm start 1.00pm
- SUP Eliminator Sprint (800m) SUP – briefing @ 2.30pm start 3:00pm
- Outrigger Eliminator Sprint (800m) – briefing @ 3:15pm start 3.30pm
Single & Double ski (British series) 4km, 7km & 14km Triangular looped course (condition dependent longest section will be with the down wind)
SUP & Outrigger will follow the same 7km triangular course (one lap)
Double Ski Eliminator 2km*
Sprint Knock out 500m SUP & Outrigger*
* crews for the Outrigger Sprint Knockout and Double Ski Eliminator are self selected
- Surf Ski
- Open Ladies 14km
- Open Men 14km
- Under 19 7km
- Under 16 boys & girls 4km
- Masters Men (40+) 14km
- Masters Ladies (35+) 14km (dependent upon conditions and ability of competitors, course could be shorted at the race directors discression)
- Open Double 14km
- OC 1, 2, 4 & 6
Prizes: aside for British title points, spot prizes from our sponsors will be raffled at the end of the day (included in race entry).
Online entry fee (www.surfskigb.org.uk):
Single & Double Ski 14km £15
Double Ski Eliminator £5 per seat (entry on day)
SUP & OC 1 & 2 (£15 on the day includes Eliminator sprint & 7km)
St’Ives has a wealth of accommodation from more salubrious digs such as the Carbis Bay Hotel to more modest hostel and camping sites. We have listed B&B’s in the Carbis bay area which are within walking distance of the beach – at the time of updating the site vacancies were available. In no particular order:
- Harbour View 01736 796102
- St’Margrets 01736 795785
- Bay View 01736 796765
- Longships 01736 798180
- The Old Quay House 0736 753988
Other B&B’s further way from Carbis but situated closer to the town centre beach Porthmeor:
- Chy Conyn 01736 798068
- Atlantic View 01736 798875
- Atlantic Heights 01736 799378
- Ten Ocean View 01736 795796
Parking on the Day:
Parking, depending upon the day (sunshine or rain), varies from £3 up to £9 for the day. Parking is of a premium and with limited space can fill early on in the day – to help ease stress levels we have put in place a couple of contingency plans:
- Get to the beach early, park up and pay the fee
- Get to the beach early, drop off your ski and park at the Carbis Bay Church at the top of Carbis Bay hill (much cheaper £2 – £5 for the day) we will be operating a turning circle on the day to allow swift kit drop off only.
For those making a weekend of it there will be the opportunity to store skis on our trailer which will be removed from the beach at the end of the day. Trailer storage will be out of town and away from any busy roads. Storage will be on a first come service and at the owners own risk.
Long Course Race Format (14km)
Eliminator Short Course Format 800m (SUP & OC) and 2km (double ski)